Health of Your Hygiene Department Test
Answer "yes," "no," or "don't know" to the following questions.
Give yourself one point for each "yes" answer.
- I use the code 4910 for my 3-or-4 month periodontal maintenance patients.
- Regardless of insurance constraints, I diagnose the periodontal health of my patients.
- My patients are informed and understand their periodontal status.
- My team has the verbal skills to prevent cancellations and failures.
- My hygiene schedule is overwhelmingly full.
- We do not have a problem with cancellations or broken appointments,
- My hygiene department produces 50% of the total office revenue.
- Our patients are rarely kept waiting for their scheduled visit.
- 60% of our hygiene schedule consists of perio related procedures.
- Each of my hygienist produces an average of $1000 - $1200 per day.
- Our case acceptance for periodontal treatment is 90%.
- My hygienists’ generates four times their salaries in revenue.
- Are all hygienists' treatment guidelines consistent?
- Are your protocols reproducible?
- My team understands periodontal disease and the office treatment philosophy.
- We have a written guideline for Standard Operating Procedures for new or temporary hygienists to treat all of our patients consistently.
- When my patients have periodontal disease, they understand its treatment fee and their estimated co-payment.
- My documentation will protect me in the event of a lawsuit.
- I plan my hygiene schedule to meet production goals and provide efficiency.
- My hygienists are all on the same page with office philosophy.
- My continuing-care patients receive comprehensive update exams.
- I measure and evaluate the productivity and profitability of my hygiene dept.
- I use an intraoral camera regularly.
- During restorative exams, I'm effective and comfortable telling my patients about their prioritized needs on a tooth-by-tooth basis and about their elective and cosmetic options.
- 24 points - You are doing an excellent job of managing your hygiene department.
- 19-23 points - You are doing a good job but there are one or two areas to focus on that will make a tremendous difference in your productivity.
- 11-18 points - You probably haven't been analyzing your hygiene status for a while. There are several significant areas in your hygiene department that need to be addressed immediately in order to bring it back on track and make it profitable.
- 5-10 points - Your hygiene department is weak and needs a major "overhaul" in order to make it productive and efficient.
- 0-4 points - Your hygiene department is in crisis and you need a specialist post haste!